- Glorious Goodwood, Goodwood Revival, Festival of Speed, Golf Club
35 minutes, 22 miles
- West Dean Gardens and College
30 minutes, 16 miles
- Arundel Castle and town 25 minutes, 14 miles
- Cowdray house and ruins, Farm shop and café, Golf club Cowdray Park Polo 20 minutes
- Weald and Downland Open Air Museum 30 minutes, 16 miles
- Uppark House and Garden 35 minutes, 18 miles
- Wakehurst, the country estate of the Royal Botanic Gardens Kew 55 minutes, 33 miles
- Bignor Roman Villa 22 minutes 11 miles
- Petworth Cottage Museum 7 minutes – central Petworth
And lots more…
- Fly fishing
- Hot-air balloon flights
- Amberley Industrial museum
- Lurgashall winery
- Chichester Harbour Water Tours
- Cruises from Arundel Boatyard
- Wey & Arun Canal cruises at Loxwood Etc……..
and further afield…
- Portsmouth Naval museum
- Brighton Pavilion
- Historic Lewes
- Seaside at The Witterings, Bognor Regis and more
Theatre and Cinema
- Chichester Festival Theatre
- Guildford Yvonne Arnaud Theatre
- Horsham Capitol Theatre & Arts Centre
- Odeon Guildford
- Chichester Cineworld
- Satellite viewings Haslemere Village Hall
- Guildburys Theatre Company at Haslemere Educational Museum and Waverley AbbeyHouse, Farnham (talented amateur dramatics)
- Petworth Park (check locally)
- West Dean Gardens (check locally)
- Cowdray House (check locally)
Art and Craft Courses are held at West Dean College, Cowdray Heritage and other smaller venues in the area. Some shops offer one-day workshops and The Weald & Downland have seasonal exhibitions of crafts and country trades.
Antiques and Interiors
An exciting variety of shops, markets and exhibitions lie within a stone’s throw of Balls Cross. Petworth has a number of top class shops as well as affordable centres offering everything from trinkets to fine furniture. Art galleries are tucked away down the lanes, together with pretty home furnishing shops. So much to see!
We are fortunate to have several auction rooms nearby. Wisborough Green and Horsham, Fernhurst and Chichester. Weekly sales, Saturday sales, Fine Art and General Sales are all on offer. Great fun rummaging through. The Wisborough Green Brocante is held twice a year, and is well worth a visit for beautiful country and vintage home decorations and gifts. They have also opened a shop in Midhurst so no need to wait. In Chichester, The Pallant Gallery holds Fine Art exhibitions, and the building itself is a period gem.
Kirdford’s Award-Winning Village Shop is a few minutes away for newspapers, post office, and an excellent selection of good food and drink for picnics and snacks.
Petworth House has become one of our favourite places for coffee, lunch and afternoon tea and while you are in the town, take a moment to wander the peaceful, cobbled lanes and admire the pretty cottages and smart town houses alike. Plenty of shops offering everything from scented bath oil to summer sandals. The book shop is really special and don’t forget your postcards and stamps from the post office within the newsagents.
Horsham, Chichester and Guildford are all large shopping centres with the usual High Street businesses. Haslemere is closer but smaller with everyday stores and coffee shops. Cranleigh is also nearby; larger than Haslemere but still with a friendly, local atmosphere.
GOOD PLACES TO EAT……
- The Stag Inn Balls Cross (good food, friendly pub, walking distance)
in Petworth –
- Meghdoot’s (Indian)
- The Hungry Guest, lunches etc
- The Angel Hotel
- The Star
- The White Horse Sutton
- The Black Horse Inn Byworth
- The Mulberry, on the A283 at
- The Half Moon Inn, Kirdford
- The Three Crowns, Wisborough Green
WALKS AND STROLLS…
It doesn’t have to be The South Downs Way! There are lovely walks all around Balls Cross. A short stroll will take you to The Stag Inn and you can stop for a drink; walking behind the pub takes you across the field and along a number of footpaths across Ebernoe Common. Take the map.
We have a book showing walks in Petworth Park, along the towpath at Loxwood, in and around Kirdford and Wisborough Green and many more. Just ask and we will see what we can find…